Monday, January 12, 2009

More Procedures More Progress

Another week has come and gone. It's hard to believe that we have been here for almost six weeks already. Time always seems to find away of flying bye unless of course you are sitting there starring at a clock and then it finds away of standing still. Sometimes the afternoons seem to last forever but it helps with the nice weather and being able to get outside and take in some sun. On most days the temperature reaches somewhere around sixty-five to seventy degrees with the sun shinning. There have only been a handful of days where it has been cloudy with cooler temperatures. It's always easier to be in a good mood when the weather is nice, at least that is my opinion. The three of us are still getting along great. No arguing and bickering between us. Yes, even between my father and me. I'm sure all the progress that I've made and am still making has played a big role in the trip going so smooth.



I know it has been over a week since my last blog so let me bring you up to date on my progress. All during last week what I noticed the most would be my increased over all strength. Starting with my hands all the way down to my hips, these muscles have all gotten stronger. This all being very crucial in order for me to be able to support myself while I practice my standing and walking in between the parallel bars. On Wednesday morning Dr. Shroff came by the room for a short visit to check up on progress. We inquired about maybe being able to do more physical therapy. Not that we weren't happy with the physical therapy that we were getting, but just wanting to do as much and work as hard as we can. So, she said she would talk to my therapist Dipen and they would arrange for me to have three sessions per day instead of two. So now my physio schedule is table work from nine until ten in the morning. Standing and walking at eleven and lasting about thirty to forty-five minutes, and then my afternoon session is at two to two-thirty where I work on sitting balance and upper body. I like the new schedule and find my body more exhausted afterwards. Another question we had for her was when she thought my next procedure would be. She explained that it would take place on Monday. This of course put a giant smile on my face because I am always anxious to see the results that will take place after a procedure. By the end of the week I was wore slick and ready for some rest.

Saturday I did absolutely nothing. Of course I had my usual Sat. morning physio that lasts from nine until ten fifteen but the rest of the day I took off. Sitting around watching television being kind of lazy felt kind of good. This would probably be why I am so behind with my blog. I apologize for my tardiness. Sunday we slept in till around nine, which felt good, but once up were eager to get ready and head out for the afternoon. Our first stop was to the All American Grill. It was pretty cool set up like a diner from the 1950's. We all three ordered breakfast and were pretty satisfied. The pancakes needed a little work but it was alright. After lunch we headed to market called Dali Haat. Here you can find pretty much anything you want to purchase. From jewlerly, scarves, artwork, and so on,with over 175 different vendors it's not hard to find something to buy. After that we headed back to the clinic wanting to get to bed early that way I would be rested for my procedure on Monday.

Monday morning they came in and notified me that my procedure would be done here at the clinic, which was kind of a relief because having to transfer to the other hospital is a hassle like i mentioned. So I got in bed and prepared myself for the procedure. Around ten forty-five they came with the gurney and took me into the operation theatre. They transferred me to the operating table and placed me on my side. As before they crunched me into the fetal position with my chin pressed down into my chest. Once into this position Dr. Ashish prepared the injection site. This time the injections would be up in the neck around the injury site. He would be making two injections into the deep spinal muscles that surround the spinal cord. With the first injection I felt a heavy stinging sensation which only lasted a few minutes. The second injection I received little or no sensation. The whole procedure lasted little over fifteen minutes. As soon as it was over I was taken back to my room where i had to lay flat on my back for an hour. It was a pretty simple procedure.

Since the procedure on Monday I have already noticed a few changes. The strength in my core muscles have improved., My tricep strength has increased. I have gotten back better finger movement. Hips are stronger. I can feel the stretch in my aductor muscle on the inside of my thigh. I am starting to get a little movement from my hamstrings. Everything just keeps getting stronger. It's definitely a great feeling making all this progress. Also, today i was just informed that I would be having another procedure on Monday. Might as well keep the ball rolling while going is good. Lets get as many stem cells in there working as possible. Well, that's it for now. Sorry for being so late. I will kept you updated. Lucas

13 comments:

Dave said...

Awesome update brother. Sure was nice to hear how everything is going. Miss you and can't wait to talk to you bud! Later

Alysen said...

Wow....I wish we had that 70 degree weather here! It's freezing cold here this week and it's miserable to get out so you're not missing much on that aspect. As always....I love hearing progress and each time you blog you never disappoint! Till next time....take care and good luck!

SomeRetard said...

WooHoo! Rock on Luke! I am bumping your thread on carecure. Keep on fighting man!

Erik

The Klinge's said...

It's fantastic to read how in depth your blogs are. You can definitely tell your hands are getting stronger! Keep on keepin on, Luke, you're doing so great! Love ya!

patty pass said...

We always love it when you update us!! We love to hear about all the wonderful progress you're making . . . please keep on postin'! Know that our prayers continue for you.

Until we dance on the beach,

Patty Pass and of course alex

Anne Solomon said...

Lucas! I just sat down and read your whole blog from beginning to present, before I was just catching the most current installations. Now I know what people were talking about with the cow comments! I wonder if the cows at home would stand for that? ;-) I continue to be amazed by your progress, it may sound corny but you really are an inspiration! And I have to agree with the other bloggers, you write really well! I'm looking forward to more updates, keep working those fingers!

Chelsea said...

That is amazing, Lukie! I'm so sorry it's taken forever for me to get on here, but I really wanted to let you know how proud I am of you and all of the progress that you've been making along the way in India!! I'll tell you again...I am soO0Oo proud of you! Can't wait 'til you get back here, I'd love to see you again, soon.

Rootin' for ya,
Chels

Eric B said...

As always, we are amazed with your posts. Keep up the great work! We wish you the BEST!

Chris Tuck said...

It appears you have been hiding your light under a bush, my friend. You have quite the flare for the written word which makes reading this blog all the better. You should consider writing these into a book or series of short stories. That's the substitute teacher in me talking. We think of you quite often and my mother asks about you all the time. Must be a comfort to know that you are missed by so many folks Sounds like things are progressing and we look forward to your return to the neighborhood. Maybe it will be warmer here when you get back. -6 is way too cold for me. We love ya.

Wick said...

Good stuff man. I haven't talked to you in over a week, so its good to see you are still doing so well. Keep it up, proud of you, miss hanging out, work hard.

nicole said...

so i have a new pirate pick up line that i heard recently, but until you get here I can't fill you in on it. and let me tell you, it's a good one! hugs

gina said...

Hi Luke, Heard some great news about you from your mom this morning and wanted to send congrats! I was going to say I am sending a big thumbs up, but that would have been too corny... LOL Really enjoy reading the updates and as always, my girls and I wish you the best.

Jane Huff said...

Hi, Lucas -
Tiffany recently waited on me at the bank and told me about your blogspot. It's GREAT to know that you are benefiting from the injections! George and I are thinking about you-
Jane Huff