Sunday, January 25, 2009

Epidural Procedure

Talk about getting a little lazy. I can't even remember the last time I posted a blog. So, let me get started where I left off. It seems like with every week something new with my body starts working again. After my deep spinal procedure I received two Mondays ago both of my thumbs started moving on my hands. This started happening the Wednesday of that week. Now when i say started moving you have to remember it is a very slow process. You see, once you getting a muscle group back, like the one in your hand that moves your thumb, you have to strengthen it next. Remember I haven't moved them in almost two years. As of now it takes me about thirty seconds to my my thumb a couple inches. Not exactly ready to be entered into any thumb war competitions just yet, but it's progress. My other fingers are getting stronger with each new day as well. I think before long i will be able to make a fist again so everybody better watch out.

The following Monday I was supposed to have another procedure. This being the big daddy of all procedures, the lumbar. This is where they go directly into the spinal cord around your injury level. This unfortunately didn't get to go as planned. I picked up a small infection and the procedure was postponed. They put me on some antibiotics and rescheduled for Wednesday. Tuesday they tested me again and the infection was still present. The oral antibiotics had cut the infection in half, but the doctors weren't satisfied. They of course want my body in perfect shape before they do a procedure. So, they switched from oral antibiotics to intravenous and postponed till Thursday. You see where this is going so to make a long story short i didn't get cleared for the procedure till late Friday so I received the procedure Saturday. We transferred to the other hospital under the influence that I would be receiving the lumbar procedure and staying overnight. Once over to the other hospital and in the operating theatre Dr. Ashish informed me that we would be doing an epidural procedure instead of the lumbar. This due to the fact that it had been to long since my last procedure. No worries though. I still received millions of stem cells into the epidural area. This procedure only required me to stay in bed flat on my back for the afternoon and I was able to come back to the clinic that evening. I will be receiving the lumbar procedure on Thursday or Friday of this week. So, maybe I will get back on track with my blogging and give you an update this weekend. Sorry for the laziness. Lucas

11 comments:

Dave said...

Another great update with even more progress. I've thought about you a lot here lately, not sure if its because we haven't hung out in so long or what. Seems like everything I go to do, something reminds me of you and I start laughing! I need to start writing them down and we could have a full length comedy! Talk to you soon bro! Later.

The Klinge's said...

Sounds like a lot more progress, and that is awesome! Seems like the countdown is on for you guys coming home, it's been so long! We are so excited for your progress, but even more excited to see you guys soon! Love ya!

Alysen said...

First of all, no punching anybody once you get your fist back ok. (HA) Secondly, I'm glad that things are still progressing as planned over there and we are all excited to hear the outcome of the Lumbar procedure coming up this week. When are you guys coming home?? I can't believe it's almost been 2 months already since you have left.

Eric B said...

"Thumbs Up" on your progress. We keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Wishing you more and more return!! The Beckmans

Christy said...

I am always so anxious to read your blog! So excited for the progress you've made. As always, your in my prayers!

nicole said...

hey lukie,

check your email ASAP please! hugs

Chelsea said...

Luke, everything that you have been doing so far is excellent and oh-so rewarding to your future. We couldn't be more proud of you...well, everytime something wonderful happens with your rehabilitation, we are more and more proud...so I guess we CAN! I was so excited last night when Tiff told me how you do all these blogs yourself...I was wondering, so I asked and she basically told me every step...I LOVE IT!!! That's awesome...and you don't even use like everyday vocab...it really seems like you whip out the thesaurus for these blogs...they are so interesting. Keep up the good work, and I'm sure I'll see ya when you get back....is it the 3rd of March???

patty pass said...

OK Luke,

We're getting worried about you, there have been no blogs for weeks! We can't wait to hear from you and hear how things are going.
Blog away whenever you get a chance!

Love and blessings,
Patty and Alex Pass

Rabindra said...

Hey Luke, All the best with the treatment. I have provided a link to your blog on mine sciindia.blogspot.com. I have also mentioned a few other places in India which are offering Stem cell treatments. Hope your thing works out. All the best wishes again.

Take care

nicole said...

when is there going to be another update!?!

Marcia and Lynn in Alaska said...

We love reading your progress reports and can only imagine your excitement with every new beginning you are experiencing. You are in our thoughts daily and we cheer for you as you take every step down your road to recovery.
Thank you Luke for giving us hope.