Saturday, August 15, 2009

Steady Progress

It was kind of an interesting week we had. I was supposed to go over for a procedure on Monday morning. Well, they ran a few tests early that morning, blood work and urine, and of course i had a urinary track infection. This is something I am always battling due to the catheter I have. So, in order to speed up the process of eliminating the infection it was decided that changing my cath would be a good idea. Well, to make a long story short, there ended up being a few technical difficulties. A lot of blood started showing up in my urine. The doctors here at the clinic got the bleeding to stop. It was then that they decided that it would probably be a good idea that I be taken to a hospital and kept overnight for observation. An ambulance was called and i was transported to Max Healthcare hospital. I stayed there over night having no other issues. The next afternoon we had another ambulance take me to the guatam nagar hospital where i would be receiving my procedure starting on Wednesday.


So, Wednesday afternoon I was taken into the operating theatre to receive my EC procedure. Just a couple days being schedule but no worries. When you have problems you have to deal with them and put them behind you. The EC procedure (epidural catheter) went very well as usual. Dr. Ashish is very steady and very precise. The catheter is inserted around the eleventh thoracic vertebrae and is ran up the epidural space stopping near the fifth or sixth thoracic vertebrae. Once inserted it is time to flood the are with millions of stem cells. I received to injections on Wednesday, two on Thursday, and a double dosage in the a.m. on Friday. I was very pleased on Wednesday when i received my first dosage of cells. If you can recall from my last trip every time i received an injection of cells I would get a real heavy and tight feeling in my stomach. Well, this time the sensation worked it's way down lower into my groin region, butt, and legs. My overall sensation has improved, mostly from the waist down. I am also happy to report that I am able to push the urine from my bladder on my own. Now, all I have to do is train the other muscle that gives you the ability to hold urine in and I am catheter free. How wonderful would that be. I a scheduled to receive another procedure on Wednesday so I will be in touch. Lots of love to my family and friends. See you all soon.

4 comments:

The Klinge's said...

Your progress is so astounding! It may be old hat, but everyone around here is behind you 100% and so super proud of your accomplishments. We send all our love to you and your dad daily and can't wait to hear more! By the way, we go for the sonogram Wed the 26th, so cross your fingers we can "see something" and watch your comments for the results! Love you, Luke!

Roadreck said...

Sounds like a full week. Thanks for the post, I wanna hear more! Gabe just cleared a UTI this past week...sucks. It seems we won't be seeing you as our departure went back a week to arrive on the 9th. Its fantastic to hear about the progress, keep at it. If you have a minute drop us a note as to where we should go and what we should see outside the walls of Nu Tech...and we're wondering about the food at clinic. Good?

The Klinge's said...

Well Lucas, IT'S A BOY!

N16H70WL said...

Hi hotrod,

missing your stories and your smile. Super pumped everything is going well. Minus that damn uti. the EC must be extremely small,eh? have you seen it? could you get a picture of it? i tried calling your dad's phone on your bday. You're getting old. When do you get back to the states?cali is going well. hotter than a mother tomorrow...109. sending hugs. peace out...oh, on tyler's account so it may say from tyler but it's really from me:)