Monday, February 22, 2010

Great Progress With Week One

Well, week one is in the books and i have to say it's going great so far. We arrived Wednesday evening sometime around seven. It took us a bit to get everything settled into place, but since this is our third trip it didn't take long at all. On Thursday we didn't really get a chance to sleep in because I had to be down in physio by nine forty-five for my evaluation. Didn't quite make it in time for that, so it was postponed till two-thirty. That was fine with me, it gave me time to go outside and suck up some sunlight. I hate to rub it in, but the weather is beautiful over here right now. About seventy-five to eighty degrees with the sun shinning. After lunch I headed sown to the physio room for my workout and standing. I showed improvements in every department. My upper body strength has increased noticeably, especially in my triceps. Core strength is all better. This allows my balance to be much better. It also allows me to be more upright in my wheelchair and promotes better posture. In my lower limbs I still have slight function in my quads and glutes. My adductors have really came online and strength has increased in them as well. My hip strength is also alot better. As far as foot and toe movement it is still there. I'm not sure if the movement has increased much, but my control is definitely better. With my standing I have been able to increase the number of repetitions i'm doing with all of the different exercises. So, in all the doctors and the therapists are very pleased with my progress. The weekend finally came , which was greatly needed because my father and I hit a brick wall called jetlag. We were informed Saturday afternoon that I was going over to the other hospital for a procedure on Monday, so we took advantage of the weekend, layed around and got rested up. Monday we headed over to the other hospital around one-thirty. I would be receiving the epidural procedure, which consists of one puncture into the epidural space followed by millions of stem cells shot into that area. I was informed by doctor Ashish that he would be entering the epidural space around the t-9 vertebrae. With this procedure he was hoping to get some new stimulation as well as function in the lower part of my body. As I received the injections, sensation overwhelmed the lower part of my body. First, a heavy, tight feeling starting at my bellybutton working it's way down to my toes. It was followed by an almost electric sensation all in the same area. It is hard to describe and put into words the feeling my body gets when I receive these injections. It is almost unbelievable. After the procedure of course it is back to the room, where the bed is elevated and I am to lay flat on my back for four hours. With this procedure it is not required for us to stay overnight. Dr. Ashish stops by the room for a short visit, we watch some television and eat dinner, and before you know it we are on our way back to the clinic. I am excited the next morning to get down to physio to see if these new stem cells have found a new home in my body and are ready to bring new life. As I am being stretched out in my legs, what do you know something new. I am now able to feel my calf muscles and my glutes being stretched out on both my legs. On my left leg there is a noticeable increase in strength with my leg extension. Where there was slight movement, now it is definitely noticeable. Very exciting stuff. The doctors are pleased as well as myself. Since Tuesday I noticed a few other changes as well. In my fingers, the flexsion has increased as well as some new extension. In my hips, my adduction seems to be a bit stronger. Also, while laying in bed sitting up, I was able to move my toes down on both feet quite a bit stronger. I tell you there is life in these legs and they will not be denied. So far it's been a great trip. My father and I have adjusted very well and are getting along great. I know there will be much more exciting news to come, but that is all for now.

7 comments:

Megan said...

Thats awesome! Keep up the hard work!

Alysen said...

That's great Luke! I love hearing about all of the updates and "new" things you can do! Keep us posted and enjoy the weather while you can!

gina said...

How awesome! The thorough narrative really helps me and the girls "picture" your system coming "online." I bet the staff there is excited like we all are. Thank you for taking the time to update, it is so encouraging and makes us pray harder and continue to believe, hope, and expect great things.
Sending you strength,
Gina Prather

The Klinge's said...

FANTASTIC! This is the best post yet! We can't wait to hear more!

Directory Rs said...

It would be nice if other part of the world appreciate the fact that india has grown a lot in science and all aspects of life.. still some ignorent people think indians are snake charmers .. pity them

Breanne Olson said...

I am so amazed by the medical treatment you receive there. The doctor sat and had dinner with you? Wow, you won't get that in America! Sounds like we have a few things to learn from them. Keep up the good work! Can't wait to read the next one!

Unknown said...

holy smokes luke! that is the best news i've heard in a long time. I'm so proud of you and can't wait until one day we play tennis and i whomp you.


Nicole