Friday, December 26, 2008

Week Three

Well, week number three has come and gone. It sure doesn't seem like we've been here that long, but I'm sure that feeling will eventually wear off. Nothing like being gone for the holidays to make you start feeling a little home sick. This weeks improvements were not quite as earth shattering as last weeks, but are still very noticeable. All the improvements I have made so far just keep getting stronger with everyday and that is exactly what I need to happen. In order for me to be able to get out of this wheelchair and walk I need the strength to support myself first. The best part of my day by far is getting in my my leg calipers and practicing standing. Imagine that huh... While standing I practice leaning forward and pulling myself back upright. This will strengthen my back and stomach muscles which will enable to stand on my own. The muscles are still very week and they tire quickly, but the important part is that I can feel them getting tired. This means the muscles are working and of course working them will make them grow stronger. It's just a matter of time before I have all the strengtho put it all together. I am still doing my yoga and accupressure four times a week and beleive this is helping a lot as well. My yoga instructor is very knowledgeable and i enjoy the time he spends with me.
The three of us did venture out last Sunday and went and did ac few things. First stop was the Big Bazzar. We were expecting maybe something similar to a Wal-Mart or something along those lines. We were wrong. It turned out to be pretty much to be a giant empty building. It was set up like a mall with three floors but where all the stores and shops would be they were all empty. Their was one small store that had three floors. It was like a very small Target. Their was also a shoe store, which is why we made the stop in the first place so i guess the trip served it's purpose. Second stop was at an archaeological monument called Qutb Minar. A king of India had it constructed nearly nine hundred years ago for his daughter. The monument consists of a stone tower over two hundred and seventy feet high. Built with no concrete or mortar, each stone was hand carved and made to interlock with the other stones. It was surrounded by a number of other stone ruins that also have a lot of archaeological significance. To many details to get into. The third and last stop of the day was to a place called the Shopping Emporium. Here their were different items for sale from all the different states of India. They had everything from jewelery, handbags, woodcarved items and so on. They had a very nice selection and we will probably make our way back to buy some souvenirs. It was a nice afternoon but by the time we made it back to the clinic we were all pretty wore slick.
It was a short work week due to a couple of occasions. Of course Christmas was on Thursday which we celebrated with the r5est of the patients. We gathered down in the lobby and ordered out Italian for lunch. The meal and company was very good. Not near like being at home but everybody made the best of it and it turned out fine. The second occasion was the clinics end of the year celebration. The celebration consisted of live entertainment ranging from live singing, a fashion show, different dance performances, and even a guitar solo of Santana played by Dr. Shroff's husband. This turned out to be the highlight of the week by far. All the different acts were performed by members of the staff and were amazing. It was really neat to see the staff kind of cut loose and have a fun time. Everybody had a blast. At the end of the show they had a buffet of traditional Indian cuisine for everyone to eat. In attendance were al the patients, staff, family members and even two members of the National Medical Board. What a good time had by all.
Last but not least on my list to tell you about is my first major procedure that takes place on Monday and will run through Wednesday. This procedure will consist of them placing a catheter in the thoracic region of my back. This enables them to inject millions of stem cells twice a day towards the injury area of my spine and kind of let the cells saturate the area. I am looking forward to having the procedure and eagerly await the results. Wish me luck and talk to everyone soon. Lucas

9 comments:

Alysen said...

Those are pretty cool pics of the monuments. Good luck tomorrow....I'll be thinking of you!

Christy said...

They dress their cows a little different then we do! ha ha Good luck tomorrow. Can't wait to hear what happens.

Nick said...

Good luck tomorrow Lucas, can't wait to hear about it. Keep working hard. Merry Christmas!!

The Klinge's said...

Thanks for the pictures, it is great to see what you guys get to see! Hope everything is going well today! We are thinking about you all the time! Love you, Lucas!

ed chapman said...

great news...good luck on this weeks procedure.. are ther any other americans there? tell jeff and fred hello..

Cassidy said...

Wow, facebook is crazy, one minute I am going to leave Christy a comment and then next I am on your blog! The pictures are amazing, looks like an incredible place. I hope all is going well for you, I have thought about you so many times over the last several years, wondering how life is. Hope everything goes good for you on your trip.
Cassidy

Kristen said...

So, you are probably about half way done with your first major procedure and it's killing us that we can't talk to you!! Can't wait to talk to you when you're all done tomorrow. We think about you often and hope all is well. I just know that more great things are going to happen very soon. :) Love you!!

HLK said...

Lucas, Best of Luck!.... I am Fred's brother and wish you all the best....
Keep the faith and stay focused.
Tell Fred hello....
Heinrich

Ron G. said...

Goodluck, buddy. Happy New Year guys. Can't wait to see you walking. Keep us posted.