Monday, December 15, 2008

Week Two

It's the end of week two and the three of us are pretty much settled in and are starting to get into a normal routine. Finding our groove is how I like to put it. I believe the three of us have adjusted very well considering the circumstances. You never know what you are going to get when you throw three corn fed, homegrown, country boys into an environment like this, but I think we're going to make it. I know one thing I couldn't be doing this without my dad and fred. I hope they know how much I love them and appreciate everything they do for me.
Well, enough of that on to the exciting stuff. As you all know I had my first spinal procedure last Thursday. Everything went well and as planned. Their really wasn't much to it. I stayed in bed until they came with a gurney to take me to the operating room. Once in the operating room they transferred me from my back to my stomach onto the operating table. Of course while all of this is going on I am practicing my breathing techniques and focusing where I am wanting to direct the stem cells that are getting ready to be injected into my body. As I prepare my mind Dr. Ashish preps the site at where the injection will take place. The injection will take place right above the coccyx area. In the matter of minutes the procedure is over with. Millions of stem cells have been injected and are hopefully in route to the injured area of my spine. A few moments later I am taken back to my room where I am to lay in bed on my back for four hours. Dr. Ashish swings by the room a little later to check up on me and make sure everything is fine. That is the only spinal procedure I have received so far. I have still been receiving my a.m. and p.m. stem cell shots in the arm daily. They did however switch it up today and I received my stem cells by I.V. This allows the stem cells to be injected directly into the blood stream which enables them to reach the injury site that much quicker.
I have saved the best part for last. I have been here for two weeks now and have been receiving stem cell injections for twelve days. All last week during my physical therapy sessions I noticed some amazing changes happening in my body. In my arms, my wrist flexors and tricep muscles have gotten noticeably stronger. My sitting balance the best it has been since my accident. I can now feel my left hip as it is being stretched out. My over all sensation throughout the lower half of my body has been greatly increased. After my procedure on Thursday my feet had a strong tingly sensation for a couple of hours. This all great stuff, but hold on it gets even better. Starting on Saturday evening I am now able to move my toes on both of my feet. How cool is that? Now, I don't think I will be up and dancing tomorrow but my toes are definitely moving, And if that wasn't enough. Today in physical therapy I started moving my hands as well. Small movements with the fingers on both hands but very noticeable as I try to make a fist. Incredible!!!!!! It's amazing what doctor Shroff and her team of doctors are doing over here. Well, gotta go for now. I hope this gets everybody as excited as we are. Talk to everyone soon.

14 comments:

Kristen said...

Holy Crap that's exciting!!! I woke up this morning and came out to the living room - Pat said, you have to read Luke's blog! So I sat right down to read the exciting news. You had me on the edge of my seat! Just think what will happen in another 2 weeks... :) Love ya!

The Klinge's said...

That's absolutely fantastic news! You are doing so great, the sky is the limit! Love you!

Alysen said...

Wick e-mailed me this morning about it and I noticed you updated your blog as well. Yay.....I'm thrilled things are looking brighter for you Luke! Showing this much improvement in such a short amount of time there is no telling what the next couple of months will bring! Thanks for the post!

Christy said...

Oh my gosh!! I am so happy for you! Keep up the work. I am so proud of you.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Wick told me the good news. I had to read the blog for myself. That is exciting and such promising news! We are so proud of you. There are blue skies ahead!

Marcia and Lynn in Alaska said...

WOW LUKE! We are so happy for you. You are so amazing and brave. You have made a believer out of us. Where and how does Lynn sign up? This is so exciting.
Take care and be safe. Can hardly wait to hear more from you.

Kaleb said...

That is Incredible, it is amazing how much progress you have made in a short time, you are a very strong person, keep up the good work!

ed chapman said...

GREAT NEWS!!! AARON TOLD US ABOUT YOUR PROGRESS AND BLOG SITE...KEEP MOVING FOWARD AND WE WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR UPDATES...
ED

Nick said...

That is AWESOME Lucas!!! You're doing great, sounds like you are coming a long way in a short period of time. Keep up the good work. And thanks for getting me addicted to yet another website, I check this thing 5-6 times a day to see if there is anything new. Now that great and amazing things are starting to happen I'm sure I will check even more.
Keep on keepin on.
Love ya buddy,
Nick "The Italian Stallion" Gibilisco

Barbie said...

That is such wonderful news Luke. We are so happy for you. Alan ran into your mom in Wal-Mart and she shared the exciting news with him. I didn't get to see her but I know she was beaming. It's a lot of hard work but way worth it. Thanks for sharing everything with everybody. Tell your dad and Fred "Hello".

Jacquelyn said...

Wick sends me texts updating me on your progress, and they are definitely the highlight of my day. I am so proud of you and know that with your amazing personal strength in addition to all the people supporting and praying for you, this progress is just the beginning...

Keep up the good work, Lukie!

Jacque Eidson

Chris Tuck said...

Hi there. We are thrilled to hear all the glad tidings. Also heard you kept Fred up all night because your ass itched. That's a first! I will have Steve read your blog when I get home from school today. We love ya and say hi to the 2 old men for us.

Chris

Michelle said...

Great News Luke. I'm so excited things are going so well for you. I will look forward to your next update. Love you!

heinzler said...

Hey Lukie,

I have been following your progress and everything sounds like it's going well! I talked to Joe this morning about your exciting news!!! Keep up the great work. I keep you in my thoughts and prayers and wish you all the best. Hope things keep going at a great pace for you.

Love Ya Bud! Coach